Homespun Yarn Party

Join us on March 27 and 28, 2021 in your living room, via Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram!

Featured Post

Monday, March 9, 2009

Karen Schlossberg, Avalon Springs Farm

avalonspringsyarn


1. What is your website? and email?

www.AvalonSpringsFarm.com www.AvalonSpringsFarm.etsy.com www.AvalonSpringsFarm.blogspot.com
email: Schlossk@comcast.net

3. Where are you located?
Mount Airy, Maryland

4. What do you make?
I sell both natural fleece and fiber and finished products. I have Angora Goats, and Colored Angora Goats, and Llamas, and Alpacas, in an array of natural colors and whites. I sell raw fiber, skirted & washed, and hand dyed (many colors). I sell roving and yarn as well.

avalonspringslocks

5. Do you make fiber/yarn/etc. full-time?
My career has been in art education. Currently I am an at home Mom. I do the farming and fiber art full time from our farm at home.

6. How did you get into making stuff?
For the last decade+ I have had the farm with a focus on fiber animals and selling livestock. As an art teacher and artist I have always wanted to get into fiber & textile art, however, public school teaching was too much a demand on my time. Since I have been at home with children, I have finally begun to chase the dream.

7. How long have you been doing this?
Raising fiber animals for more than ten years, the fiber production more recently beginning in the last two years.

8. Where do you find inspiration?
I would say I am a colorist as an artist. I am thoroughly enjoying how well Angora goat fiber/Mohair absorbs dye, the colors are wonderful.

9. Any funny stories, words of wisdom, something else to share about you or your business?
--I have just started doing a blog. I have always have journal where I jot stories, ideas, thoughts, drawings, notes for photographs. The blog is a nice outlet to formalize some of this material.
--I have a Saturday, seasonal job working for a vendor, The Flower Lady, at the historic Farm Women's Cooperative Market of Bethesda. Indeed, customers love to hear funny things/endearing things about the farm and animals. I do sell a little bit of my own farm products there -- yarn, roving, hand dyed silk scarves.


avalonspringscashmere

Avalon Springs Farm will be sharing a booth with Flying Goat Farm.

No comments: