Homespun Yarn Party

Join us on March 27 and 28, 2021 in your living room, via Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram!

Featured Post

Friday, March 6, 2009

Kate Chiocchio, Dragonfly Fiber Designs

dragonflymagic

1. What is your website?
DragonflyFibers.com and dragonflyfiberdesign.etsy.com

2. Your ravelry.com username?
DragonflyFibers

3. Where are you located?
I live in Kensington, MD

4. What do you make?
I create hand-dyed yarn and spinning fiber. I also love to hand-process fleeces and hand dye locks.

dragonflyPretty

5. Do you make fiber/yarn/etc. full-time?
I work with yarn and fiber part-time. The rest of the time I am a clinical social worker and a mom.

6. How did you get into making stuff?
I've come to the conclusion that the drive to create is an essential human drive. Those of us who are aware of our need and ability make things are the lucky ones. I've almost always done something creative; after I turned 40 and fell in love with fiber, I became driven to knit, spin, and dye.

7. How long have you been doing this?
I've been knitting for 6 years (not counting when I was 8!), spinning for 4, and dyeing for almost four.

8. Where do you find inspiration?
I am inspired mostly by the natural world and the work of other fiber artists. I love to watch the way different fibers take color and to use those subtle differences.

9. Any funny stories, words of wisdom, something else to share about you or your business?
I guess I'm a social worker even as a fiber artist and business owner; I want everyone to realize that yes, you can create(knit, spin, felt, braid, weave, name it) and in fact, your life will be happier and richer for it. Sure, we all learn different things in different rates and in different ways. I've been converting knitter for years, and everyone learns in their own way. Trust yourself and be persistent!

dragonflyself

Dragonfly Fibers and Sanguine Gryphon will be sharing a double booth. Kate was with us in 2008 too - you can read her bio here!

No comments: