Homespun Yarn Party

Join us on March 27 and 28, 2021 in your living room, via Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram!

Featured Post

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Flying Goat Farm

1. What is your website?
Our website is www.flyinggoatfarm.com. We also have an ETSY site: www.flyinggoatfarm.etsy.com

2. What is your Ravelry name?
My Ravelry name is Goatherd

flyinggoat1

3. What do you make?
I raise angora goats and sheep. I have fleece and rovings that either naturally colored or hand-dyed for handspinners and felters. I have yarn from my animals and commercial sources that are dyed in beautiful colors. I put many types of yarn in a one of a kind dye pot so that knitters and weavers can add texture into their fabulous finished pieces. I also offer "Fair Trade Handspun" yarn. Local spinners spin my fiber into a unique yarn. These spinners are paid a living wage for their expertise and excellence in spinning. My yarns are very soft and colorful. Wrap your colorful self in luxury!!

4. How did you get into making stuff?
I started out as a weaver and spinner about 15 years. I taught myself to dye so that I could make the colors that I dreamt of but couldn't find. I've had my own fiber animals for 4 years. Now I have an almost unlimited amount of fiber to dye and spin with. I also send my fiber out to be made into yarn for me. While waiting for my own yarn to come back from the processor, I started to dye commercial yarns that are luxurious and soft. These yarns round out our product line.

flyinggoat3

5. What is your favorite thing about the local fiber community?
My favorite this about selling to the local fiber community is being able to see the wonderful products that are made from my animals. Some are spinning exotic yarns, while others are knitting or weaving up shawls, socks, mittens and scarves.

6. How does what you do/make influence the rest of your life, and vice versa?
My fiber and yarn is a natural extension of the farm. When I go out with my animals, I can envision how their fleeces will look dyed and spun up into yarn. On the weekends, I'm out in my studio dyeing, skeining and spinning the fiber that I have grown on my farm and some that I wish I had grown. My art is a big part of my life and the farm allows me to have fiber that is raised in a humane and organic way.

7. Any funny stories, words of wisdom, something else to share about you or your business?
There have been many times when my students have asked me "Why are you green? (or blue, or pink or orange) When I explain that I was dyeing this past weekend, a strange look comes over their faces....not dieing....dyeing. Since my students are young English language learners you can imagine their confusion!

flyinggoat2

No comments: