Homespun Yarn Party

Join us on March 27 and 28, 2021 in your living room, via Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram!

Featured Post

Monday, February 23, 2009

Linda Minnick, Mid Valley Fibers

Handspunyarns

1. What is your website?
www.midvalleyfibers.com

2. Your Ravelry.com username?
linspins

3. Where are you located?
Middletown, Maryland

4. What do you make?
handspun yarns with wool, alpaca and blends; handknit Christmas Stockings, hats, lace shawls and scarves

Mid Valley Fibers

7. How long have you been doing this?
I have been knitting since I was 9 (a very long time) and spinning for the last 20 years.

8. Where do you find inspiration?
I love working with fiber. My newest passion is alpaca and I've spent alot of time (and money) acquiring information about the animals and their fiber and have quite a number of fleeces. Each fleece is a learning experience. I love taking the raw fleece to finished yarn and then creating a handknit item -- from their back to mine (or yours). After a hiatus of several years I have begun to dye again and I'm quite excited about adding bright colors to the array of natural colors of the alpaca. Blending batts and creating one of kind alpaca yarns is becoming quite a passion. I also have yarn created from rovings out of the dyepots of other fiber artists.

9. Any funny stories, words of wisdom, something else to share about you or your business?
I donate a portion of the proceeds to the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation. My fiber career took on new meaning 6 years ago when my first grandchild, Noah, was diagnosed with CF. I quit my outside jobs to become his daytime caretaker and found that knitting while he was napping was a natural mix. Having so much completed, I decided to create a company to offer these items to others and give back to CF research at the same time. Now that Noah is in school, I have the time and opportunity to drag out the dyepots once again and create the colorways that have been swimming around my noggin for quite a while. Every turn of the carder, treadle of the spinning wheel and stitch off the needles is done with Noah in mind. His sister Rachel is a carrier of the CF gene, but thankfully doesn't have the disease. Offering my yarns and knits gives me the opportunity to tell everyone about CF and how important your dollars are to research for a cure.


Mid Valley  Fibers

No comments: