Homespun Yarn Party

Join us on March 27 and 28, 2021 in your living room, via Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram!

Featured Post

Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Abby, Folktale Fibers

folktaleleafy

1. What is your website? and email?
folktale.etsy.com
folktalefibers@gmail.com

2. Your Ravelry.com username?
folktale

3. Where are you located?
Gaithersburg, MD

4. What do you make?
Handspun yarn, felty baubles, and misc other fibery things - all from recycled or organic fibers and animal-friendly local wool.

folktalemoodring

5. Do you make fiber/yarn/etc. full-time?
Yes!

6. How did you get into making stuff?
I've been making things for as long as I can remember - I think I picked it up from my mom and grandma, both of whom sew, knit, and crochet. Some of my earliest crafty memories include my mom giving me scraps of fabric to sew buttons onto to keep me entertained while she sewed clothes for us, and learning to finger crochet in preschool. I've always had a fascination for both fiber arts and small online indie businesses, so it's not surprising that I ended up where I am.

7. How long have you been doing this?
I've been spinning for 3-4 years now, and I started Folktale Fibers a little over a year ago.

8. Where do you find inspiration?
Nature is my biggest inspiration, and stories. Fairytales, mythology, my own life, and the eclectic mix of books I've read. I usually can't make it through a good book or a hike without stopping to scribble down ideas for new yarns.

9. Any funny stories, words of wisdom, something else to share about you or your business?
My dream for Folktale is to eventually switch to using 100% local
organic wool (as well as some wool-free fibers like organic cotton and hemp) and all natural plant-based dyes with non-toxic plant based mordants. I'm very slowly moving towards that - this year, I'm working on a new 'line' of naturally dyed handspun yarns.

folktaleim007263

No comments: