Homespun Yarn Party

Join us on March 27 and 28, 2021 in your living room, via Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram!

Featured Post

Saturday, March 7, 2009

Shelby Bidwell, Shelby's Designs

shelby2806896554_bd9f0d051a_b

1. What is your website?
shelbyb.etsy.com

2. Your Ravelry.com username?
shelbyknits

3. Where are you located?
Germantown, MD

4. What do you make?
hand dyed yarn and stitch markers

shelbyDSCN2011

5. Do you make fiber/yarn/etc. full-time?
No, I wish I did!!

6. How did you get into making stuff?
I've been crafty since I was a kid. When I went to Maryland Sheep and Wool for the first time in 2005, I was in awe. I fell in love with all of the colors and textures, and wanted to learn how to dye yarn/fiber myself. After trying with KoolAid and Wilton dyes, I took a workshop with MamaE, and learned how to use acid dyes. I got bitten by the fiber bug big time, and couldn't stop!!

7. How long have you been doing this?
I've been dyeing for over 2 years now.

8. Where do you find inspiration?
Much of my inspiration comes from the magical world of Harry Potter. I use places, people, and magical items as a lot of my inspiration. And other times, I just have fun and see what I come up with. Nature is another big inspiration.

9. Any funny stories, words of wisdom, something else to share about you or your business?
I remember being 5, and going to the LYS in Hamburg, NY with my mom. I was taken with the color and texture even then. And after re-connecting with the fiber world after my daughter was born in 2004, it all came rushing back to me. For me, the color and texture is about memories. Remembering old ones, and making new ones.

shelbyDSCN1818

No comments: