Homespun Yarn Party

Join us on March 27 and 28, 2021 in your living room, via Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram!

Featured Post

Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Karida Collins, Neighborhood Fiber Company

karidabrookland

1. What is your website?
http://neighborhoodfiberco.com

2. Your Ravelry.com username?
karida

3. Where are you located?
Currently, I'm in Mount Rainier, MD

4. What do you make?
Hand-dyed yarns and fiber

karidalogan

5. Do you make fiber/yarn/etc. full-time?
Mostly, yes. I also work part-time at a coffee shop, teach knitting, and I finished a knitting book last year, Pints and Purls (Amazon link).

6. How did you get into making stuff?
After college, my best friend taught me how to knit and introduced me to Bust magazine. Since then, my main hobby (and social outlet) has been crafting, mostly knitting. At this point, my idea of a perfect party involves Buffy the Vampire Slayer DVDs, knitting, and liquor.

7. How long have you been doing this?
I've been doing Neighborhood Fiber Co. for the last 3 years.

8. Where do you find inspiration?
My inspiration comes from the natural and structural beauty of DC. The characteristics of the various neighborhoods, along with the residents and history are the basis for my colors.

9. Any funny stories, words of wisdom, something else to share about you or your business?
I used to be really bad at confining dye to the yarn and fiber. Most of my clothes have at least one stain. When I got my dog, Honey, I saw the turquoise tattoo from the rescue organization (to mark her as spayed), and spent a week thinking I accidentally dyed her.

karidatruxton

No comments: