Homespun Yarn Party

Join us on March 27 and 28, 2021 in your living room, via Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram!

Featured Post

Monday, March 7, 2011

SpaceCadet Creations

1. What is your website?
SpaceCadet Creations

2. Your Ravelry username?
I am SpaceCadetCreates. And there is a SpaceCadet Creations group on Ravelry too.

Space Cadet Creations


3. What do you make?
I make beautiful hand-dyed yarns and fibers by mixing each colour by hand from primaries. Every yarn and fiber-braid is unique.

4. How did you get into making stuff?
I have been a fiber freak ever since I begged my mother for spinning lessons way back when I was 11 years old! I taught myself to knit when I was 19, took up spinning a decade later, and picked up a degree in Textiles and Clothing while I was at it. But it's dyeing -- creating all those wonderful colours! -- that really gets my blood pumping.

Space Cadet Creations


5. What is your favorite thing about the local fiber community?
I love how welcoming and supportive crafters are to one another. If you ask a knitter to teach you to knit or a spinner to teach you to spin, she'll not only do it, but probably invite you to her knitting or spinning group, and end up being a friend too. It happens all the time, and I just love being part of a community like that!

6. How does what you do/make influence the rest of your life, and vice versa?
Probably the coolest thing about dyeing is that inspiration is simply all around me. I see colours I want to create everywhere I look, and am constantly filled with exciting ideas!

Space Cadet Creations


7. Any funny stories, words of wisdom, something else to share about you or your business?
When I was a kid and I’d do something dumb, my dad would call me a “Space Cadet”. He said it with love but it wasn't a compliment ...and I did a lot of dumb things as a kid! So I decided a long time ago that when I finally worked up the courage to break out of the mould of ordinary work and do something creative -- something I wanted to be proud of -- I was going to call my little venture "SpaceCadet". And baptise that old nickname with a brand-new meaning.

No comments: