Homespun Yarn Party

Join us on March 27 and 28, 2021 in your living room, via Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram!

Featured Post

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

8th Street Soap Kitchen

1. What is your website?
www.8thstreetsoap.com

2. What do you make?
I make soap. And a handful of other nice-smelling things (scented oils, etc).

8thst3

3. How did you get into making stuff?
I have always loved making stuff. I got into soapmaking after picking up a soapmaking book about 10 years ago. I was intrigued. And then hooked.

4. What is your favorite thing about the local fiber community?
I don't knit or crochet and am generally a total dodo when it comes to fiber arts. But I love looking at and touching the yarns and the wonderful finished products -- I can't help it, they're so beautiful (and I'm tactile like that)! Some of the nicest, coolest people I've met in the craft world are in this community.

8thst

5. How does what you do/make influence the rest of your life, and vice versa?
Often, a new soap idea will develop out of a memory/story from my non-soap life, or to commemorate a special event -- in some ways, it's like a blog. Like a blog I don't update very frequently, that is.

I strongly believe that soapmaking has helped me keep my sanity. When I have a bad day at my normal day job, I think about soap and it makes me feel better. I haven't bought commercial "store soap" for years (and neither do members of my family, come to think of it).

6. Any funny stories, words of wisdom, something else to share about you or your business?
I was handing out little slices of soap samples at a fair recently and had someone eat one by mistake (granted, it was one that looks a bit like dill havarti cheese). He was so mortified, he ate the whole thing rather than spit it out. His wife could not stop laughing. He survived, by the way. Not that I'd encourage that sort of thing.

Words of wisdom? If you haven't tried handmade soap, you should! You'll never go back to that awful stuff they sell at the drugstore!

8thst2

No comments: