Homespun Yarn Party

Join us on March 27 and 28, 2021 in your living room, via Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram!

Featured Post

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Juniper Moon Farm

1. What is your website?
www.junipermoon.com

2. Your Ravelry username?
ShepherdSusie

juniper2

3. What do you make?
We raise Cormo sheep and Angora goats for fiber, which is processed into roving, combed top and yarn.

4. How did you get into making stuff?
About ten year's ago, I became completely overwhelmed by the amount of stuff my (now ex-) husband and I received as wedding and Christmas present. There was just this huge pile of gifts and we didn't need anything. It really depressed me. I decided that from then on I was going to make everyone's Christmas gifts and asked my family to do the same. I got a book and tried to teach myself to knit that same weekend. FAIL! I ended up signing up for a class at my LYS and was hooked. The irony, of course, is that I immediately started building up a world-class yarn stash! So much for my anti-consumerism...

Within a year, I had purchased my first small flock of sheep and a pair of Angora goats. I started my business selling premium yarns and rovings and shepherding has been my full-time job for three years.

Today, in addition to selling yarn and spinning fibers, we operated the first Fiber CSA in the country and have opened our home to farm stays for people looking for a knitting retreat with the sheep. Would-be shepherds can attend our Shepherding Camp to get a taste of what owning sheep is really like.

juniper1

5. What is your favorite thing about the local fiber community?
When we moved our farm down from Martha's Vineyard, I couldn't believe the welcome we received from the knitters and spinners of the Mid-Atlantic. So many people sent emails and cards, offered to help come by the farm to help us unpack and even sent gift baskets! We love it here in Virginia; it feels like home.

6. How does what you do/make influence the rest of your life, and vice versa?
Oh gosh. I don't have a lot of work/life

7. Any funny stories, words of wisdom, something else to share about you or your business?
Making your hobby into your business is dangerous and a little scary, but it's also the most rewarding thing I've ever done. The people I've met and friends I've made in this business mean the world to me.

juniper3

No comments: