Homespun Yarn Party

Join us on March 27 and 28, 2021 in your living room, via Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram!

Featured Post

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Wild Hare Fiber Studio

1. What is your website?
www.wildhare.etsy.com
wildharefiber.com (under construction)

2. Your Ravelry username?
wildharefiber

wild1

3. What do you make?
I'm primarily a hand spinner and dyer. I love creating beautiful colors on wool and other natural fibers, and spinning yarn of all kinds, including art yarns (one of my skeins was pictured in a recent Spin-Off article about art yarns). In my spare time I also knit, crochet, felt and do a bit of frame loom weaving.

4. How did you get into making stuff?
I was cutting up socks and fabric scraps to make doll clothes when I was three -- so I've been 'making stuff' pretty much my entire life. My great-grandmother, who was an accomplished quilter and crocheter, passed her skills on to me at an early age, and I taught myself to knit in middle school. I studied fine art and design in college, and also sew and do a bit of light carpentry/home renovation. I guess I'm like Tinkerbelle, making and 'tinkering' with stuff is just what I do!

wild2

5. What is your favorite thing about the local fiber community?
the enthusiasm! It's so gratifying to connect with people who share my love and appreciation for these things.

6. How does what you do/make influence the rest of your life, and vice versa?
Involvement with fiber arts has always been an important part of my life. The meditative and creative qualities of knitting, spinning and other handcrafts have brought me peace through the ups and downs of life, in good times and bad. In recent years, my passion for these pursuits has become even more important, as I've transitioned to follow my dream of being a full-time fiber artist. I hope that my children will grow up with the confidence to pursue their personal dreams as well.

wild3

7. Any funny stories, words of wisdom, something else to share about you or your business?
Sometimes people assume that "Wild Hare" means I'm selling angora rabbit products -- which is ironic, since angora is one of the few fibers I have trouble working with (it makes me sneeze). In reality, the name 'wild hare' comes from the old saying that someone doing something crazy and unexpected was 'going off on a wild hare' (which refers to that animal's mating behavior). I thought the name expressed the creative, adventurous spirit of my shop, along with the 'crazy' leap of faith I made in pursuing my fiber-business dream.

No comments: