Homespun Yarn Party

Join us on March 27 and 28, 2021 in your living room, via Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram!

Featured Post

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Folktale Fibers

1. What is your website?
folktale.etsy.com
folktalefibers.blogspot.com

2. Your Ravelry username?
folktale

folktale1

3. What do you make?
Mostly I spin yarns. I use quite a bit of locally grown wool, so many of my yarns start from a raw fleece that I wash, dye, and process myself. I try to use all local, recycled, and sustainable fibers. I also occasionally sell other fibery things - hand dyed and hand carded fiber, felty bits, and sometimes handsewn or handknit items.

4. How did you get into making stuff?
I've been making stuff ever since I can remember! I probably picked it up from my mom, who is also pretty crafty - she got me into sewing and crochet at a young age.

5. What is your favorite thing about the local fiber community?
I love meeting local fiber people, who have all been very helpful and fun and inspiring, but I think my favorite thing might be the fiber producers: the animals and the people who raise them. There is nothing I love more than taking a trip out to buy fleeces from a local farm!

6. How does what you do/make influence the rest of your life, and vice versa?
Making things is so ingrained in me that it's very hard to separate it from the rest of my life. For example, even when it comes to cooking I prefer making everything from scratch, all the way down to grinding my own flours and fermenting my own sauerkraut. I think making things has influenced me in that I really pay attention to details, think about where almost everything I use comes from and how it was made, and makes me appreciate things that I don't have the skills to make more.

folktale3

7. Any funny stories, words of wisdom, something else to share about you or your business?
At the time I thought it was ridiculous, but when I was about 13 years old I took one of those extensive tests through my school that is supposed to be able to suggest your ideal careers to you, and it told me that I should be a llama farmer. I remember joking about it with my friends because I thought it was hilarious, but I now find it eerily accurate.

No comments: